Monday

Long Hair, Short Hair, No Hair

The chemotherapy regime I am on will make me go bald, soon. Instead of waiting for it to fall out in patches I decided to cut it short. I called my fabulous hair guru Joan (my cousin) and asked her to chop off my unyielding curly hair. Nervous could not explain how I felt. The breakdown I expected never happened during the hair cut. Joan cut it exactly how I asked, short really short. Joan did a great job.

Kira was apprehensive to see me but she finally got the courage. Maci said, "Mom, I'm not scared of you with short hair." Ben said, "I looked good." The rest of my family all gave rave reviews to my suspect.

Late that night guess what happened? "THE BREAKDOWN" When I saw myself in the mirror I lost it. Ben was very comforting and sweet, but when I look in the mirror I see a different person. I don't know who that person is. In a week, when I'm bald I will have to adjust to that person too.

I look forward to the day when I can look at myself and see someone I know. Hopefully she's someone who's kicked this nasty lymphoma.

P.S., I have no intention of posting pictures of my new hair cut or soon to come baldness. (I'm camera shy)

3 comments:

Julienne said...

So Nate's work sales wigs and the lady who orders them has a catalog that she said we could take to you and show you all of the options. I also believe she said she could get them for you for around 40.00. I will be home next weekend. Let me know if you are interested. By the way I thought you looked cute with short hair.

Erin said...

You are too critical of yourself. You really do look good. It just can't be fun to cut off your hair and not be doing it because you want something new but because you have to. Just think when this is over we can have tons of fun with your new and improved hair! Maybe red.

Shelley said...

If anyone on the planet has the strength to get through this, April, its you. Be strong. Love you girl!-Shelley